Brand new StuG III Ausf.Gs ready for shipment (probably at the Alkett plant) to the rail-head for their journey to the front in 1943. Note the Panther Ausf.A in the middle and the columns of the newly-produced Hummel 15cm s.FH18-armed self-propelled howitzers. The assault guns are all covered with a tailored tarp to keep the elements at bay; note also the brackets for the racks to mount Schürzen (skirts) laying on several engine decks.
The fighting for the central railroad station in Stalingrad. On the morning of 17 September 1942 the Soviet defenders subjected to a heavy attack by infantry and 20 tanks and assault guns. Here, a Schützengruppe (infantry squad), supported by a StuG III Ausf. F assault gun armed with a long 7.5cm gun, also know as a Sturmgeschütze 40, awaits orders to advance through the railway sidings and shattered rolling stock.
General von Manteuffel, the commander of the “Großdeutschland” Division, is seen in the foreground of this photograph. Behind him is a Pz.Bef.Wg. III Ausf.K. Note the infantry backpacks ― extremely rare pieces of equipment for tank crews ― hanging on the cable attached to the smoke candle dischargers. This photograph was taken in Sereth in Romania in the spring of 1944.
40 tank kills! Leutnant Walther Oberloskamp, Zugführer (platoon leader) in Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 667, is seen here on his very successful StuG III which is decorated with 40 kills rings painted on the barrel. Those kills earned him on 10 May 1943 the Knight’s Cross.